Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

Mary and Martha

People demand a lot of me. I say that not to imply I'm super important or anything, but other stay at home moms - and I'm guessing those moms who work outside the home, too - will know EXACTLY how I feel. I can't even pry my eyes open in the mornings before someone is asking something of me. "Mom! I'm hungry and thirsty and I might DIE if I don't watch Daniel Tiger right now!" from my four year old. "Honey, do you think I could ask you to iron me a shirt? And is there anything in the fridge for my lunch?" from my husband as he tries to get out the door to provide for our family day in and day out. "Waaaaaaaaah!" from the baby who wants to be held, has a poopy diaper, and wants desperately to nurse - even though I nursed her three times between midnight and now! Stumble to the kitchen, think, "where are my glasses?" and start some coffee blindly cause heaven knows I'm gonna need a few cups. Start prioritizing everyone else's needs... Get my hubby out the door, feed the screaming toddler, then sit down to feed the baby. Just meeting these demands usually takes me until 9 am before I can breathe deeply and assess the piles of dishes, laundry baskets overflowing, and a to do list taped to the fridge. I know that Jesus said, come to Me all you who are weary and I will give you rest. Sometimes I think it would be incredible if that rest was in the physical world. My spirit finds rest and my soul breathes thankfulness, but my body is tired. I realize this is the third load of dishes today - and there's ONLY FOUR of us! I know, I know. "The days are long but the years are short." I've heard it from older women. I've lived it when I see my sweet baby brothers start driving or my big 4 year old playing t ball. I spent 2 years praying and believing for the preciousness that's trying to rip my shirt off to nurse this morning. It goes by so quickly and it hurts my heart and if I think about it I will cry, but at the same time, sister, am I exhausted. I know other moms are too. We need REST. Peace. A purpose to the monotony of daily life. I cherish those rare moments that I can pick up the Bible and read three verses. I cry over the Jesus Storybook Bible as I read it to my kids, because a lot of days, it's the only devotional time I can squeeze in without someone yelling "mom!" In my direction. Today, I encourage you to sit and rest. If you find yourself with naptime on your hands, ignore the housework. Close your eyes and lay before The Lord. "You are the God who sees".... And He sees us, sisters.... He sees US and our failings and our tears and our messy floors. We aren't the first and we won't be the last generation of mothers struggling through this sacred calling, but we are battling it out in ever-increasing "busyness." Let Him bear your burdens today. Be a Mary in a world of Marthas. 

No comments: